About Me

My photo
I specialize in FHA and VA loans. These Government loans are a fantastic choice for most homeowners that do not fall into typical conventional financing. I am also experienced using several conventional and non-conventional loan programs. I work with several local down payment assistance organizations to assist low income borrowers attain home ownership. I work with local banks when necessary to achieve the best results for my clients. I also do my best to advocate home ownership in Wisconsin through a combination of outreach and education. I serve on a number of local committees and actively participate in fundraising and volunteering for various local non-profits. I am committed to my industry's reputation. My business is now 100% referral based.

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Madison, WI Rent vs. Own Comparison

The following is a rent vs. buy comparison for a single family residence in Madison, WI. These numbers reflect the Madison, WI Real Estate Market and will differ from area to area. I typed this up to show those who may be on the fence about buying and scared of paying more on a mortgage than in rent how good of a decision buying a home is.

Similar to my blog comparing FHA and VA loans, this blog will use a $480 year estimate for homeowners insurance, and $3,600 year estimate for taxes, very representative numbers in our market. The loan is a 30 year fixed mortgage with no pmi.

Renting:

Current Rent $1200/mo

Annual Rent Increase 2%

Monthly Renters Insurance $10

Buying:

Down Payment $0

Loan Amount $150,000

Interest Rate 6.5%

Estimated Closing Costs $3,000

Monthly Property Taxes $300

Monthly Homeowners Insurance $40

Details of Transaction:

Annual Appreciation of Home 5%

Interest Currently Earned on Closing Costs 8%

Current Income Tax Rate 27%

Annual Home Maintenance $1,500

Result:

Before Tax Payment

Renting $1,210, Owning (PITI) $1,307

Total Payments Over 30 Years:

Rent - $587,780.34, Own - $515,541.60

Total Tax Savings Over 30 Years:

Rent - $0, Own - $81,849.45

Average After Tax Monthly Payment:

Renting - $1,632.72, Buying - $1,204.70

Favorable Option:

Home Sales Price After 30 Years - $648,291.36

Final Loan Payment - $4.51

Opportunity Cost of Closing Costs Compounded @ 8% - $32,807.19

Gain of Buying vs. Renting - $615,479.66

Total Payment Savings - $154,088.19

Combined Gain of Buying vs. Renting $769,567.85

In addition to the equity and tax savings, 30 years down the road a renter is still renting, and your mortgage is paid off.

I can make a buy vs. rent comparison for almost any scenario. If you, or a client of your would like a comparison please contact me, I am happy to assist!

No comments: