About Me

My photo
I specialize in FHA and VA loans. These Government loans are a fantastic choice for most homeowners that do not fall into typical conventional financing. I am also experienced using several conventional and non-conventional loan programs. I work with several local down payment assistance organizations to assist low income borrowers attain home ownership. I work with local banks when necessary to achieve the best results for my clients. I also do my best to advocate home ownership in Wisconsin through a combination of outreach and education. I serve on a number of local committees and actively participate in fundraising and volunteering for various local non-profits. I am committed to my industry's reputation. My business is now 100% referral based.

Friday, July 6, 2007

An article about Title policies and my thoughts...

I was at a closing a little early last week and I read an article in Forbes while I was waiting for my clients to arrive and I have just been thinking about it ever since. The article was about Title companies and how they sell a largely outdated product for an inflated price and consumers are required to use them. It further went on to say that the largest offender (FA) who's market share is about $8 Billion Yearly gives away an exasperating amount of illegal kickbacks to Lenders and Realtors on a monthly basis.

The average Title policy in America, according to the article, costs consumers around $1400. Only $70 of this money goes to pay actual claims. The rest of the money pays for the overhead and sales people and generates a massive profit for these companies on a yearly basis.

The article argues that since Titles and Liens are all well documented by computers the chances of finding an error on Title have dwindled significantly and Title policies have in effect become outdated. The states could provide this service at a much cheaper rate to consumers and create the same amount of jobs. The only benefit from having Title companies, the article suggests, is the plethora of kickbacks it generates for the Real Estate Industry and for the profit of shareholders.

The article was compelling at worst and the more I think about it the more I agree. Anybody else out there feeling this way?

No comments: